Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Ty Williams.

Ty Williams. I met Ty williams in 2005 when he was traveling around Costa Rica by himself. What a perfect way to meet someone. When we told him we were making a surf film the first thing he asked us was "do you know who Thomas Campbell is?" CLASSIC!! At any rate we were stoked to get to know him. He has since doodled and painted quite a lot. He has that rad backside fish wave in INVASION! from Planet C. When we had our Hurley premiere of INVASION! from planet C, Ty showed up and painted the walls. I am forever in debt to him for that. He nailed it. Here is a link to a video clip of that party. Check out the paintings on the walls. Below is an image he sent me in support of Jazz the Glass. 
 ultra rad. I really thought Ty would do the art for Jazz. He was supposed to do the cover work for INVASION! too. The pictures below are what he submitted for INVASION! 


We were stoked on Ty's contributions. Our friend Brin ultimately came up with the design we stuck with. 

As far as I can see Ty is doing well for himself. Here is a link to Ty's website. How many portraits does he have of himself looking like a deer caught in the headlights?!!  




 Super Rad.  ( all the portraits were found on Ty's website typaints.com) The skull we use for the "jolly roger" in Jazz the Glass was designed by me. I was laying in bed trying to think of the "icon" to front Jazz with. Like the space ship is for INVASION! 
I knew it had to be a skull. I started to play with all the obvious shit (like surfboards for the cross bones). That shit started looking like butt pirates of the Caribbean. I just kept after it until I drew this rough skull with waves for eyes, a fish for a nose, and logs for teeth.
 After I had the idea sketched on paper I sent it to David Potter (our finished skull was made by David Potter).
 After I sent it to David, I sent it to Ty. Eventually, although Ty's skulls were cool, we thought they looked too much like jelly fish or something. Too cartoony for the nature of this project.


 Ty Williams has cut a niche out for himself in a market that is resilient. Good on him. Thank you Ty for all your support all these years. Jazz the Glass!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment