Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Keeping it Real. Santa Cruz style!

steiny from swaylocks posted this on a thread I started over there. LOOK at all those D fins off to the left!! what must have been out there that day? his description is below:
"otto's board rental/surf shop across from cowell's. after otto passed away jeanie sold all the boards- check how many d-fins! i think that is bob pearson and ward coffey on the far left checking boards."

tsimpson from swaylocks said the following after checking this picture out:
"I hate to admit it, but I think I might have rented a board or two from Otto in 1961-62 or so when I was learning to surf. Some of the worst boards you could imagine. You would get cut up from the unsanded glass threads hanging off the boards which were made by local kids that Otto hired."
SUPER CLASSIC!!

steiny also posted the picture below. here are the descriptions:
"from a board swap in santa cruz 2001. clockwise from the top left a yount (santa cruz), pop out, g&s, homemade kid sized pig, unknown, chuck dent, surfboards hawaii, owl and ????"

THANKS STEINY!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I have a 10'10" Otto from the early days of Santa Cruz, its so true what you were saying about the laps! Not even sanded, I had to re-hot coat the rails and sand the rails again, but it was worth it to ride a piece of history. The board is about 80lbs and the D fin has no foil. All the old school guys laughed when I brought this thing into the shop I even had my boss try to throw it away even though I work at an old school glass shop in Santa Cruz!

    This board has a classic wide hipped pig template. I'll make sure to post some pics soon, it's actually up on Craigslist right now but am not sure about selling it...? If you are in santa cruz and would really like to ride a piece of junk/history(beauty is in the eye of the beholder) let me know. Thanks for the great article!

    cheers

    ReplyDelete